Thursday, January 14, 2010

About a month ago, I was cleaning off our desk—putting bills where they go and sorting through the rest of the paperwork scattered around.  I came upon a letter from the University of Kentucky for Heath.  Here is what it says:

“Dear Mr. Lamb:

In accordance with your instructions I will be shipping the ashes of Margaret Elaine Lamb to you at the above address.  The ashes, which will be in a plastic utility shipping urn inside a sturdy box, will be sent by registered mail January 27, 2010.”

There was a bit more about appropriate paperwork and cemeteries.  I was more than a little alarmed.  Who was Margaret Elaine Lamb, and why in the world were her ashes being sent to my husband? 

It turns out that Ms. Lamb had donated her body to science and science was finished with it.  The program coordinator for the Body Bequeathal Program had his assistant locate closest relatives to return the remains to.  The assistant just got the wrong Mr. Heath Lamb.  Thank goodness they sent us a warning letter.  I hate to think how I may have reacted if I opened a package and found ashes inside.  I hope that Ms. Lamb finds her way to her actual family.

1 comment:

Belkycita said...

Oh dear!
That is just strange.
and kind of funny.
hang in there girl, the babies are growing, things will get better.