Saturday, July 9, 2011

We are having a baby girl!  At first (I’m not gonna lie), I was disappointed.  We already have three girls and I really wanted a brother for Kynan.  However in the two and a half weeks since we found out, I’m very happy we are having a girl.  My only hope at this point that she doesn’t end up looking like the other three.  I just would like to see a girl who looks different. 

We are going to name her Kynli.  We aren’t sure of a middle name yet.  Heath has one picked out but I really hate it.  I’ll have to figure something else out. 

So, in addition to figuring out she was a she, we also found out that she has a two vein cord.  A normal umbilical cord has two arteries and a vein.  Kynli’s only has one artery and one vein.  It doesn’t have to mean anything, but it is associated with various ‘anomalies.’  That’s a scary word.  My doctor scheduled another ultrasound for two weeks out so we could check again and verify (we did that yesterday and she does have the single artery cord) and cautioned us not to look it up on the internet.

Of course, when I got to a computer I began looking it up.  SCARY!!  All sorts of things from Trisomy 13 and 18 to renal defects and cardiologic defects.  Low birth weight is also a common side effect.   (Trisomy 13 is the super scary one.)  In the two weeks in between ultrasounds, I made peace with this fact.  The doctor has been very careful to look at all the organs and anything else that may indicate an “anomaly.”  So far, everything looks really good.  I’ve also had the quad screen already and it didn’t turn up any genetic problems.

We could have some additional testing done, but there is nothing we can change even if something were found and there is no point in worrying about something we can’t change.  Yes, it would be nice to be prepared should Kynli have some sort of problem/s, so we are going to keep a close eye on her and if anything should appear suspicious, we will do the testing.

Kalyn and Keali are excited about Kynli.  Kynan doesn’t seem to care (I doubt he or Kaci understands anything about Kynli) and Kaci points to my stomach and says “Sissy Kynli” (in baby speech, of course).  It’s really cute.

Kynan and Kaci have tested as being developmentally delayed, and are now in developmental and speech therapy.  They’ve only been going for a couple weeks, but I can tell a huge difference in their speech already…especially Kaci.  Neither one really likes to be dropped off to therapy, but neither one ever wants to leave either!  The people we take them to are really good and only work with children.  They have a variety of gyms and play rooms for the kids to work in.  Kalyn and Keali go into the gym as often as they can too, just to play in the ball pit!

My summer has gotten almost unbearably complicated now that GHD training has started.  The schedule this year is actually much better than last year, in that I get home around 5 pm almost every day and I don’t have quite as many weekends with active training session.  It is so exhausting being pregnant with four young children during training!  And this pregnancy has been so hard. 

Luckily for me, Heath has been able to pick up almost all of my slack this summer and when it hasn’t been him, it’s been his Mom, a babysitter, or my friend Patience.  I pretty much get home and want to go to sleep.  I immediately begin counting the minutes until I can get the kids to bed rather than cherishing those few hours I get to spend with them.  I’m trying to do better though and Heath is very supportive. 

The first three weeks of August are a little scary to think of because of RA/CA training (much more time consuming than GHD training) and two-a-days for Heath’s football team.  He will be working all day.  I will be working all day.  I think I have the first week worked out with a  babysitter, but the next two weeks will be much more difficult.  I can’t wait until August 29th!  That date used to be August 22, but my boss is going on vacation the Monday after we open campus for a week and since we don’t have anyone hired for the position I usually work closely with, it will just be me.  I’m sure I’ll survive though.  I may sleep for a month afterwards!

I get so tired thinking about adding another child to our brood.  I also get tired of the looks I get walking around the mall or in stores when people see me walking/waddling with four young kids and clearly pregnant again.  I don’t wear my wedding ring because it gets stuck on my finger and is uncomfortable.  I’m sure they think I’m of the lowest class of people, but I know the truth.  I would love for someone to say something to me though about it.

I’m making bread right now.  This is a task I attempt two or three times a year.  I was raised by one of the best bakers in the world (Mom) and I have never yet created a loaf of my own that came anywhere close to her bread!  I even use the same recipe, but it doesn’t matter.  I just can’t do it.  Much like my Mother-in-law’s breakfast gravy.  She has even walked me through it, her making a batch on one side of the stove and me on the other.  I do exactly what she does but it is never as good!  I’ve given up on the gravy.  I still try the bread though.  I’m trying a new recipe today (Honey White Bread from the Barefoot Contessa—I LOVE HER!).  I hope it is good.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I hope and pray all will be with Kynli!